The Directorate of Sport comprises of three (3) divisions, namely; Community Sport, School Sport and Women and Marginalized People in Sport. Through the Women and Marginalized People in Sport programme, the Ministry is attempting to redress the legacy of the past where women and people with disabilities were excluded from mainstream sport activities. School Sport is the vehicle through which government provides sporting opportunities to all learners. Community Sport is the avenue through which the citizenry access/achieve sporting participation.
The Ministry recognizes that provision of sport facilities is central to promote sport in the country, thus the effort to construct sport facilities countrywide. The Namibia Sports Commission (NSC) is a stakeholder of the Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service, established to regulate sport in the country.
Division of School Sport Developmentt
- Coordinate and organize school sport activities at all times;
- Continuously provide opportunities for all learners to be involved in sport and physical recreation;
- Facilitate capacity building for sport administrators, trainers/coaches and referees/umpires when need arises; and
- Continuously ensure school sport participation at national, regional and international events by affiliating to International bodies
Division of Marginalized People and Women in Sport
- Facilitate the participation of marginalized people (including people with disabilities) and women in sport at all times;
- Conduct sport awareness during various platforms of National and international (disability and women day);
- Ensure that all sport facilities are disability friendly upon construction and alteration at all times;
- Continuously carry out research and review policy to design better programmes and projects for the targeted groups; and
- Ensure that all sport bodies attached to the division adhere to all national and international legal framework at all times.
Division of Community Sport
- Coordinate the construction and upgrading of sport facilities when need arises;
- Conduct community sport awareness during various platform such as (sport tournaments);
- Coordinate and organize community sport activities at all times;
- Continuously create pathway and support elite athletes; and
- Ensure adherence to national and international regulations that govern the sport industry.
Mr. Edelberth Katamba
Ms. Johanna Manuel
Mr. Irvine Ndjavera